Sunday, April 19, 2009

It’s become a bit monsoon-ish…

It’s nice when the universe can clearly answer your questions. I used to wonder just how much rain they were talking about when they said ‘rainy season.’ The universe has answered. Clearly. (nervous laugh)

Balcony view from yesterday.... 

 










….And from today.

 










A have a great video of the monsoon-y-ness of it all, accompanied by, if you are lucky enough to have sound on your machine, the not unannoying animal sounds of excitement made by the boy on the next balcony throughout the entire storm. He makes a cameo appearance at about 1 min 10 sec. So much for that nap… Thanks, kid.

[Cant get the video to upload..... shoot. ill keep trying...]

 

Before the raging torrent of rain and nekkid kids began, I made my first trip to the large and shiny Lucky Supermarket. Not having walked there before, and thinking I was a long way off, I paid a kindly young lad with a motorbike to take me the 1.5 blocks the rest of the way. Thank you, sir. (it was only 50 cents, but I still felt like a douchebag.)

I stocked up on familiar groceries and was checking out when the also-kindly checkout lady put a bunch of samples in my bag. I smiled a big American smile at her and, once home, realized that she had bestowed me with one tiny sac of chicken flavored powder and approximately 18 samples of rose-scented intimate wash. Thank you, ma’am. Point taken.


 











I have also included a photo, pre-monsoon, of my breakfast leftovers. The butter (top-right) had completely melted by the end of the meal, under a fan, in the shade, at 10 am.

Also note chef’s (presumably) head hair in lower left, which I found in my omelet on the second to the last – actually, make that the last – bite of the meal. Fruit, croissant and yogurt were unadulterated.


Oh, don’t get so grossed out. Hair falling into food is universal.


It’s not like I ate a puppy.

 

 



Last night I met a woman who is doing her master’s research in Cambodia on integrative water management with the WTO. The World Trade Org, you ask? In water management? No, sillyhead – the World Toilet Organization! Check em out. Their logo is a heart-shaped toilet seat. I asked her if she could get me a pin for my bag and she said no.

Thanks for nothin’.

3 comments:

  1. have you eaten a half-formed chicken fetus yet? i learned today that they're a fav in cambodia. look for the eggs with little feet coming out the side. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I predict that you will one day be very happy for the intimate wash. That sort of thing was remarkably difficult to find in China 2 years ago. (And, yeah, more than one person I knew there needed it.) :)

    Thanks for including me on your blog! I was hoping to see you when I go back to NC in a couple of weeks, but I guess that's not gonna happen... :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do they have ping pong shows in Cambodia? Maybe you should relocate to Bangkok.

    ReplyDelete